I remember watching a story of a woman who was incarcerated for a crime. She was so distraught because she believed that she had ruined the rest of her life. In this despair she asked if there was any hope for her.
The answer was profound. She was advised that it was this adversity that would be the foundation to her greatness.
Only she could speak to others who had committed a crime and needed a second chance.
Only she could relate to those in despair because of a crime they committed.
Only she could show that you can rise above that particular circumstance.
There were steps she had to do first though:
1. Recognize what she had done; be honest
2. Apologize to those who she had hurt if possible and if they would allow it
3. Forgive herself
4. Attempt restitution if possible
5. Be open and honest about her life going forward, within reason...no big secrets
6. Look for the Life Lessons from her experience and learn from them
7. Begin to help others; be intentional
8. Despite and in spite, be determined to live a great life!
There would be no easy way around it; she had to go through it one day at a time.
This is a lesson for all of us. We all have trials and circumstances that we would love to change but there are no 'do-overs'.
Work through 1 to 7 and then embrace number 8!
Live On Purpose!