Friday, December 18, 2015

Sticks and Stones....

Pain is something that we all like to avoid whether it is physical or emotional. One day I was experiencing a lot of pain and I decided to do some research on it.

Pain has three purposes; to alert you to an injury, to make you get the necessary medical intervention and finally, to cause you to leave the injured area alone so that healing can begin. I  started to think of these three purposes in terms of emotional pain. 

Often when we experience emotional pain we do not approach it with the same intervention, but we should. Emotional pain, unlike physical pain can be transferred generationally. If I hurt my leg, I experience discomfort but it exists solely with me. Emotional pain however,  if not healed, can be transferred to others through our attitude, beliefs and behaviors.

If we examine the three purposes of pain and translate it into emotional pain that means that we should be alerted to the emotional injury, seek help or counsel and finally, do not repeatedly place ourselves in the toxic circumstance inorder for healing to begin.

This thought is not popular; after all we are relational beings and encouraged to work things through. I'm not saying that we should walk away from every situation that causes emotional pain but rather we should assess the seriousness of the emotional injury and then utilize next steps if necessary. A huge, bloody wound needs more than just a bandade and a good night's sleep.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names WILL always hurt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment